Deliciousness in a Mason Jar!
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day; however, during a busy work week, spending time to make a scrumptious morning meal is impossible! About a year or so ago, my husband discovered an amazing breakfast food that surprisingly keeps you full all morning long- Overnight Oats! What are overnight oats? Deliciousness in a mason jar- yes, you read that right, a mason jar (if you want!).
What you will need/want-
- old fashioned overnight oats
- almond milk, soy milk, or skim milk – I use almond milk
- Non-fat Greek yogurt- I use non-fat PLAIN Greek yogurt (Oikos or Chobani non-fat; sugar 6-7g)- I know plain can be hard to swallow for some people, so you can add protein powder or cinnamon to give it a taste without all the added sugar
- berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, whatever berries you want!)
- Chia seeds
- peanut/almond butter
- Protein powder
- maple syrup
- granola, etc.
You can honestly add whatever your heart desires! (just keep it healthy 🙂 )
- Grab a mason jar or a small container with a lid
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oats depending on your size jar or calorie count
- Add just enough milk to soak the oats
- Place in the refrigerator overnight
- Next morning, add 1/2 to 1 cup of non-fat (plain) Greek yogurt -once again, add what will fit your size mason jar/container or the calorie total you desire!
- Next is where I mix some vanilla protein powder to my plain Greek yogurt to give some yummy flavor
- I then top the yogurt with chopped up strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and walnuts
Many days I will add in flax seeds or nut butter to give it more protein and/or flavor! Try it and let me know what you think!
Food for Thought:
- It sounds like a great idea and definitely tastes delicious, but it is actually terrible for you! With lots of added sugars and preservatives in the mix, you are better off making your own from scratch! How? Use old fashioned oats (not quick oats) and add some honey, almond milk, cinnamon, and your favorite fruit! It is a much healthier option and takes no time to make!